CamisadoMind

Christina Lee
Progress: 19 %
Lash
L.G. Castillo
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) - Susan Ee I know you've read gushing review after gushing review of this book. And you may be tired of them. No worries. No gushing review here. Before I write this, I'll say that dystopian/post-apocalyptic genre is just not  my cup of tea. They have so much premise and possibility and you have to have a very imaginative mind to read them, and I love that... but I just can't always get into them. And that's why I've made March my Dystopian challenge month, just to hopefully find one that I do love.I didn't hate this book. I actually really really liked it, but for the most part I was just feeling "eh" towards it.From the beginning this book was fast paced and just kept going, that's obviously what the author was going for and it had purpose. Penryn (that name...) and Raffe needed to gogogo to stay out of harms way and cover ground as she looks for her sister and tries to find a way to get his wings "sewn" back on.The encounters they come acorss on their way to the Aerie were, for the most part, boring for me. I didn't get attached to the characters and I didn't much care for what happened to them at this part.But then they finally get to the Aerie that's where the book picked up for me, and I found myself perking up, ready for more. But unfortunately, it was also the shortest part of the book. That's the beauty and sucky part of climaxes in stories.I loved that, because this book is a self-pub, that Susan Ee was able to write and have no filter (read: editor) telling her she can't write that. And that all comes in with the climax. I was disturbed, heart-broken and angry with a lot of what happened there and because of that, I would give this book 5 stars, but I couldn't forget the beginning.With the way the book ended, it made me want more, so I'll definitely be reading the next book in the series. Though I'm not necessarily dying to read it. I did add it to my "to-reads" shelf on Goodreads anyways.So, in the end, I applaud Susan Ee for having such a successful, self-published book. And if you don't have a Kindle, it's now available in paperback! :)